Grant Benefit: The grant covers the grantee’s round trip airfare to the U.S., a settling-in allowance, monthly stipend, housing allowance, books-and-supplies allowance, and computer allowance. The grant also covers basic university health insurance as a primary insurance coverage and the Fulbright ASPE health benefit as secondary coverage.
1) Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
2) Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
3) Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
4) Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency.
5) Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet based TOEFL test.
6) Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
7) Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
8) Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the U.S.
9) Applicants in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
A complete application includes:
a. a clearly written research objective
b. a professional resume
2. Three letters of reference specifying the personal, academic and professional competence of the candidate (submitted electronically and attached to the online application)
3. Official academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended should be scanned and attached to the online application; (official paper transcripts should also be sent at a later date)
4. TOEFL score report.
Hard copies of official academic transcripts and other supplementary documents should be forwarded to our office by regular mail. Please address the envelope to: